We offer various training programs designed to fit your goals and needs. Below is a brief overview of the training programs our Training Director, Mary Sellaro, has outlined.
We offer various 6 week classes which are presented on our Calendar (under News). We are constantly enrolling in classes, if the dates below don’t work and you would like you name added for future notification, please send us an email at Training@PoochesParadise.com. Don’t forget, that private lessons are available at anytime during the year!
Click on April, May, June 2017 Schedule for a copy of the current class schedule and pricing.
Read the class descriptions and still not sure which class is right for you and your pup? Check out our helpful PDF guide on frequent scenarios: Which class is right for my dog?
Upcoming classes listed by Start Date:
If you do not see a class date scheduled, please call and let us know you are interested and often we can form a class from your inquiry.
- Agility for Fun
- April 17, 2017
- Canine Good Citizen
- Summer 2017
- Manners 101*
- April 19, 2017; May 11, 2017; June 13, 2017
- Manners 202*
- June 14, 2017
- Manners 303 Public Manners*
- Summer 2017
- Nose Work 101
- June 12, 2017 (Limited class size)
- Visiting Paws Therapy
- April 18, 2017
* Day Education supplement available
- Canine Good Citizen Prep* – Do you want your pooch to get their American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizen certification (CGC) or do you want your pooch to learn manners for appropriate greetings and socialization around distraction? This is the class for you! Prerequisite: Manners 101, or comparable class. Age: Minimum 6 months. Can be supplemented with our Daycare Education Program.
- Canine Good Citizen Practice and Test – By Appointment – If your pooch is almost ready for the Canine Good Citizen Test, but needs a little polish, this option is for you. This 2 session course includes a practice session with a mock CGC test and then the actual test the following week. This course is held on 2 consecutive Saturday or Sunday mornings at 11:00. Participants are required to attend both classes and reservations are required.
- Fun Agility – This fun, safe, non-competitive class will provide your dog the ability to learn four agility obstacles. You dog will experience the A-Frame, Pause Table, Weave Poles, and Tunnel. You and your pup will build confidence through work and develop better communication and understanding of each other. Prerequisite: Manners 101 or equivalent. Ages: Minimum 1 year to no dog is too old! Dogs always want to learn!
- Greyhound – This class is exclusive to greyhounds and covers the same topics of Manners 101. Prerequisite: Must be a greyhound. Ages: Minimum 6 months to no dog is too old! Pups always want to learn! Can be supplemented with our Daycare Education Program
- Loose Leash Walking Class – This quick course is a 2 part class held on 2 consecutive Saturday mornings at 11:00am. Participants are required to attend both classes
- Manners 101* – Great beginner class for rescue and shelter dogs, or if you want to communicate better with your pooch. In general, your pooch will learn exercises such as come, controlled walking, sit, stay, wait, leave-it, down, and focused attention. Prerequisite: NONE. Ages: Minimum 4 months to no dog is too old! Pups always want to learn! Can be supplemented with our Daycare Education Program.
- Manners 202* – Take your Manners 101 training t the next level. We will work on adding distractions and distance to the basic skills. Prerequisite: Successful completion of Manners 101 or comparable class. Age: Minimum 8 months.
- Manners 303* Public Manners – This class is focused on helping you control your pups behavior while out in public, such as when you are enjoying a beverage on a pet-friendly restaurant patio with your furry friend or strolling through the 75 acre Loose Park in KC. This class is offered in the Spring and Fall. Prerequisite: Manners 101, Manners 202 or comparable class with prior instructor approval. Age: Minimum 6 months.
- Nose Work 101 – For the urban tracker-this is a fun class for those looking for a way to teach their dog to use their noses at the very basic level. The dogs will learn to scent and search using treats hidden in boxes. This activity is a great outlet for a dog’s mental stimulation. Prerequisite: Manners 101 or comparable class
- Rally 101 – Do you have an intelligent dog that gets bored easily? Are you looking for a fun way to practice obedience exercises which will challenge your pooch and develop communication and teamwork? Rally 101 is an introduction to AKC Rally sport. It is a natural progression after obtaining the CGC. Prerequisite: Manners 101, or comparable class. Age: Minimum 6 months.
- Tricks for Fun* – Do you want your pup to be more than just adorable? How about talented and adorable? This fun, positive motivation course helps bond you and your pooch through team building trick training. Prerequisite: Puppy, Manners 101, or comparable class. Age: Minimum 6 months.
- Visiting Paws – Dogs are amazing in the way they can soothe our souls with their presence. If you are interested in putting your dog’s talent towards therapy work which could assist and organization such as Reading Education Assistance Program (R.E.A.D.) or Pet’s for Life we can help! This course will prepare the handler and dog for volunteer work! We will provide information for volunteer opportunities and testing. Prerequisite: Manners 101, or comparable class with prior instructor approval. Age: Minimum 18 months and in the handler’s home a minimum of 6 months.
* Daycare Education supplement available*
Private Lessons – In Home or In Resort
This training option is the most flexible and is a great option for busy clients, dogs with specific behavior problems, owner’s with a particular goal in mind, dogs not suitable for classes, or aggressive/fearful dogs. Our Pooches Paradise trainer will meet with the client at a mutually agreed location for one hour increments. Prerequisite: NONE. AGE: Minimum 10 weeks. Pricing: $95 per single hourly session or save with a pre-paid package of 4 hourly sessions for $360.
The Daycare Education program is an optional program which compliments the class you are taking. This add-on service is targeted for busy owners who want assistance in training their pooch. The dog is dropped off on mornings when classes are scheduled for daycare, socialization and training. Our trainer works with the pet during the day, and the owner picks up tired pooch when they attend class. Day Education is a supplemental program for the Manners 101, Manners 202, Canine Good Citizen, Visiting Paws, and Puppy classes. At this time, it is not available for Rally 101, Public Manners, Tricks for Fun, or Push Ball. Prerequisite: Enrollment in one of the classes above. Pricing: $40 plus the cost of daycare.
Training while Boarding
Pooches Paradise is able to accommodate our owners that travel often, or just need to send their pooch away for a while. Each Training while Boarding program is specifically tailored to the client based on client goals and trainer recommendations. All Training while Boarding programs include daily training sessions, a daily report card, and two in-resort private lessons (one lesson at or near pick-up and one within two weeks of Training while Boarding) to educate the owner on how to maintain and effectively handle their pup at home. Pricing: $40 plus the cost of boarding, minimum investment is $200 in training.